The REAL Internet – IoT
Session Topic: The REAL Internet of Things + I of T
Convener: Doc Searls and Bob Frankston
Notes-taker: Matt Berry
Discussion notes, key understandings, outstanding questions, observations, and, if appropriate to this discussion: action items, next steps:
Summary: Wizards don’t make points
- Good slide deck on the history of Home Automation
- “In Control” vs. “controls”
- Being “in control” means there is an AI level
Make it brighter -> blinds or lights or mirrors
- Having a “control” means you can turn lights on or off.
- Not all IoT “things” work together
- They all report data back to a vendor, because there’s no profit margin otherwise
- Technology doesn’t have good enough AI for “In Control” yet
- I walked onto the porch at night because I wanted to see the stars, but the AI turned on the porch lights so I could see the trash cans.