Personal Data Ecosystem Biz Models
Issue/Topic: Personal Data Business Models
Session: Wednesday 4A
Notes-taker(s): Barbara Bowen
Specific case: search
Value Statement: The people who want to create your data and may now aggregate it are aware that our search history over time is more valuable in combination with patterns of behavior. As users we have the option to extend sharing terms beyond the existing terms of service and storage for our own opportunities and goal.
- Lower prices and loyalty programs may incentivize participation.
- The card model could be universal, and trade an aggregate of total data.
- Loyalty cards often do not provide real benefits, frequent flyer models are a better metaphor.
- Application developer may not want to store data, a pds will allow for storage. Cost and risk to developer is reduced. Features may be stored, it gives developers an option.
- VRM and CRM opt in and sharing
- Data by and about each individual brings up the question of joint data ownership of data as in an address book.
- When the system becomes complicated there are issues that bring up more possibility
- Marc illustrates exchange model: with PDS stack. Logical and physical layers are not necessarily contained in a box. Optimization and efficiency are key to adoption.
- 4th party with multiple exchanges. A fourth party can utilize bids. As the sole owner of a data cache users leverage value.
- Verticals will exist in areas that we have not conceived of yet.
- Trusted intermediary with demand fullfillment.
Starbucks is pointed out as a use case in the foursquare offering.
Credit score, reputation, and social currency. Personalization based on data that is not already aggregated. Risk assessment.
- Data validity and authentication are going to be part of the ecosystem
- What is the incentive for the PDS to keep the data portable and build a monetary incentive for service providers.
- A larger cross referenced data set will have value to those who only have access to small data sets.
- Self hosting business model, hosting options with any number of optimization and monetization possibilities.
Anonymized data for exchanges are reflected in the banking model vs a data vault.
Follow up session to follow and expand on pdf use cases and business
Do we really listen
We think it is logically appropriate
People who make market are not here
Support problem set
“tricking users” - no one joined FB to do web SSO
What is user experience? additional features and functionality
Features and Benifits - what has internet done for me lately.
Give people something valuable include PDS as well
Expose benifirts of PDE people and organizations
Gradually get there
- Data in US is free-for-all
- give info ---> you get
- what do people find valuable - groupon
Marc - driving forces human needs
- Feel safe
- Get Recogintion
all from people you trust
Are we solving a problem that doesn’t need to be solved?
- Groupon “saving money” - we have the worst unemployment in a long time
- Benefits them - home safe enough to eat. this feeling people don’t have on the web. Control Self Sufficency
- Mobile what is transformative experience
- Sarah - Back up your data (Moze & Carbonite)
- Make it happen
Sam - look at additional benifits
- Solve problems that there are no solutions for yet (without making the existing suboptimal)
Ability build special APIs social data - where is it now
Monica - Things I wouldn’t share with everyone. Woman walking home alone at night can share geolocation with spouse at home.
- Tracking spending and directing dollars
- Only comfortable with self and close people sharing.
- Antique Road show - what is it worth
Wendell - all of this is happening
- All big online systems, all events, monetize and change experience
- Better user experience
Asside comment about how to make a lot of money - do a Small industry trade association press - 1,000 of dollars
There are two kinds of stuff people have
- is that they consciously articulate this is done today with an interest managers
- the trails that you travel.
- These are set up to target adds against
( See the semantics of all this
Jay - additional added power of the equals sign
- IdM place holder if we add something to it - (IdM + N) * user adoption = ROI
- Save money - social event -> participate in & share/relate
Online -> offline
- 1-2 reports a quarter - on how soup for example was selling on the shelves.
- When scanners came in you could get a daily report because the scanners were ubiquitous
Who are these people actually walking into the store?
- can we find out in a privacy appropriate way? can we track “conversions” search -> purchase.
if we do this the wrong way we live in a police state.
Google/MSFT health vault -> Start storing other stuff?
- Adam Larson - person in the middle and integrate
- One company and technology?
- Thing - phone, browser “on top of” Phone operating system
Smarter purchasing process
- conversation between me and vendor
- what my friends bought
- Friends and social groups.
- We are not eyeballs - Holo go through consumer
- Behavior me -> yahoo! this data is better then
My Wallet with my permission
- Ghostery - sends beacons bugs
- Right now there are funnel Advertising
Beacon site - triangle current aggregated raised in quality
- Behavior physical world stuff in wallet.