Permission vs Consent
Issue/Topic: Permission and Consent
Monday – Session 3 - F
Convener: Kevin Marks
Notes-taker(s): Stacey Pitsillides
Notable URLS: Proposal discussed - http://habitatchronicles.com/2009/12/the-cake-is-a-lie-reputation-facebook-apps-and-consent-user-interfaces/
Video of Session: http://idcoach.blip.tv/file/3642333/
- User name/ password model
- More comprehensible to people
- You were doing what with my stuff???
- Meaningful choice about what I’m providing
- How many users they’ve got to sign up/ not how many users understand
- what they’ve signed up for.
- What am I giving permission for this thing to do?
- Is this app gonna do something bad to me, do people I know and trust, trust it
- App invites – neg half of it
- The app is able to deduce who my friends are?
- Holding the app – personal context
- Quality, copy, disappointment
- Permissions you give to that app
- Disclosure- this app demands these things and you cant switch them off
- Binary yes or no!
- Info to help you make your choice
- “we need you e-mail” wait till you have the reason to answer the
- question - gets them more e-mail addys that you cannot use
- trade- want that- prove your value
- know when your gonna use it
- bring the user to you ?? design system so
- consent for sharing – abstract idea of groups
- delegating identity back to you – empathy
- statement of purpose
- the cake is a lie – Randy Farmer
- specific statements of claims – say the following things on my app-
- when you make an assertion…. Separation between app provider
- classify apps – different ?
- im a level 3 guaranteed app
- set of purposes mapped to a set of capabilities
- sensitivity of information – defaults – exception – purpose statements
- compared to categories
- redemption ? new app 0 is better then -5 ask forgiveness button /
- reputation decay ?
- post on my behalf
- this spams me
- promises, drag the canneries in – initial promise
- how you develop trust?
- Abuse mitigation tool
- Curated computing - social curation within an app store
- How do you scale trust without a legal framework ??