Bill O’Rights O Rama
Session Topic: Bill O’ Rights O Rama (TH3D)
Notes-taker(s): Kevin Meiler
Tags for the session - technology discussed/ideas considered:
Discussion notes, key understandings, outstanding questions, observations, and, if appropriate to this discussion: action items, next steps:
Personal Data Bill of Rights
Is there broad interest in privacy? - diaspora - has large number of signups
"In America, Bill of rights was given to people from the elite"
What rights to your "own" data do you have?
Difference in Finland, Italy.
Use of US data sources.
Italy: public agencies - 15 days to correct & explain mistakes
McCain Bill: intended to bring to level of European norms
Use of law and commerce to enforce / understand ownership.
What's OK, what's not?
- OK if single site monitors behavior
- not OK if do cross-site correlation without permission
- (not permitted in Italy w/o specific permission)
- (EU: cannot do this w/o specific purpose; Google gives better service swo it's OK)
PDE: working to evaluate $ in ecosystem
Segmentation discussion "segment of 1", additional propensity measure
Discussion on economic value for those making privacy/exchange tools for tool maker, for end users, for others
- $280M in startup funding in this area
- 12 startups in this space