Data Store Interop?? How Do We Bridge Private Island of Users?
Data Store Interop? How Do We Bridge Private Islands of Users?
Notes-taker(s): Liam Broza, Lisa LeVasseur
Discussion notes, key understandings, outstanding questions, observations, and, if appropriate to this discussion: action items, next steps:
How do we bridge islands of users? Technology islands [micro-ecosystems] created by Identity Systems, Digital Wallet/Data Store providers, etc.
Observed Pain Points with current state of Personal Data Ecosystem industry:
- App development is hard—which technology choices do I make, as an App developer/service provider to consumers? Which data store “sandbox” do I choose—I can’t build for all.
- Unfavorable economics of app development.
#As a consumer, I want to be able to go into Best Buy and buy hardware that complies with “I’m in charge of my data, data usage and contract”; I want to be able to select apps that comply with “I’m in charge of my data, data usage and contract”. I want to be in charge my relationship with my service provider.
- I don’t have enough choices for tech that isn’t operating as surveillance capitalists.
- I want a grok-able “nutritional content” label for technology and tech providers.
#There is a proliferation of “plumbing” / infrastructure, but not interoperable:
- Identity systems,
- Personal Data Stores / Digital Wallets,
- Consent management/permission management solutions.
Need interoperability around:
- The way things decentralize,
- The way things authorize, and
- The way things get stored.
- and the way things get shared.
Are there sufficient standards for this?
- Indy Agent - https://github.com/hyperledger/indy-agent
- Daniel Buchman – DIF?
- Zero IDF?
- <one more I didn’t catch>
Need to separate data model from the Auth model.
Need an IDL for data; so then we can index & query and write services on top.
how to mind map concepts, project & people.
Human factors considerations: peoples’ existing [bad?] habits vis a vis apps and technology.’
Business model considerations: Big dogs not particularly incentivized to change their business models.
- > won’t happen until users have choices other than the big dog ecosystems.
- Need a new ecosystem
Some talk about open hardware development, getting also at trusted devices/platforms, and the economics that open HW will enable.
Need a solution that addresses both technology enablers and business models.
Discussion around industry consortia that create industries by:
- Clarifying and or writing specifications,
- Certifying solutions (in this case HW, apps, services, websites)
- Consumer facing brand, promotion, education, and fostering adoption
Is there interest in such an industry consortia?
Whiteboard from this session: