Personal Data Ecosystem Consortium / Technical Documentation and Interoperability (TH3J)
Session Topic: Personal Data Ecosystem Consortium Overview
Convener: Markus Sabadello
Tags for the session - technology discussed/ideas considered: personal data, pdec, personal data ecosystem, interoperability
Discussion notes, key understandings, outstanding questions, observations, and, if appropriate to this discussion: action items, next steps:
Markus pointed out that the purpose of PDEC is to help coordinate and educate, facilitate dialog in the system. Most of our current work is on the legal and business level, and also needs to happen on technical level. PDEC is trying to catalyze the ecosystem. One of the important promises of the ecosystem is the interoperability; needs some technical work/agreement/understanding. We’re not about setting standards, we’re about discovery, conversation, documentation. Technical profiles of the different projects, what exposed schemas and APIs, how it’s exposed, what strategies are in use.
Proposal to collect a set of questions that will help inform the dialog:
- data model/schema for personal data
- technology endpoints: API, network protocols, interface
- what do they offer: query, import/export, update, delete
- technology for protecting privacy/control: cryptography?
- client support: mobiles? desktop? browser plug-ins?
- developer resources: libraries? wikis?
- notion of identity: un/pw?
- architecture: centralized? open?
- data portability
- What’s required to establish interoperability?
- What’s in their future plans?
- Can your project work with someone else’s project?
- Document technical profile — with temporal attribute (what tech now, what changes coming?)
- Interoperability: do you have interoperability with another member of the ecosystem? or planning to do?
Proposal suggested that we put a set of questions up and propose member organizations post responses (RSS or other) to help “cat herding” of the information. Proposal suggested to organize info in three columns: name, tech keywords, brief description. Proposal to pre-define businesses (personal data store) then differentiate between those companies/projects. Some questions won’t apply equally to all companies in the startup circle.
Need to do more thinking on how to collect/organize this information.